What is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a simple procedure that uses your own cells and your body’s natural growth factors to treat aging skin. PRP is also more casually known as the “PRP Facelift,” as it references eternal youth and dealing with blood. Don’t fret though: it’s not at all gruesome. It’s actually a pretty amazing treatment.
PRP therapy is used to treat aging skin all over the body, including knees, thighs, arms, and stomach. It is safe to use anywhere, as it is your own-body’s physiological product; therefore, there is no risk of your body rejecting it.
Best results are seen when combining treatments; for example, the application of PRP immediately after a laser treatment, such as the Laser Genesis Rejuvenation or the Laser Spectra Peel. To accelerate results, it is recommended the patient applies vitamins to the skin in between treatments.
The PRP treatment is wonderful for repairing keloid scars and treating the crepe-like skin on the neck-area. It can also be used to rejuvenate the skin on the cheeks, mid-face, and around the eyes—right up to the lash line. PRP therapy has even been proven to treat hair loss!
Before and After PRP Treatment
Harvest PRP for Hair Restoration
Hair loss is an uncomfortable condition that many people suffer from. But wearing wigs and hats is not the solution for everyone. At the Anti Aging Toronto Clinic, we have recently introduced Harvest PRP as a new solution specifically for hair restoration, while our current PRP method is used primarily for its anti-aging benefits. Using the Harvest PRP system, we have been able to help clients achieve noticeable hair restoration results and help our customers regain their confidence. Compared to the RegenLab kit, Harvest PRP is able to achieve a higher concentration and yield of platelets by up to six times.
What Are the Benefits of Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy?
The results of the PRP treatment will astound you! It is used to encourage new cell turnover and boost collagen production and as a result, the skin has an improved texture and tone, leading to a more youthful appearance.
Here are some of the most amazing benefits of PRP therapy:
It’s Natural and Safe
Instead of using synthetic, potentially harmful ingredients, or pharmaceutical chemicals, the PRP treatment uses the body’s own ingredients to rejuvenate the skin. Each treatment is created using blood from the patient’s own body, which eliminates any possibility of an allergic reaction, infection, or treatment rejection.
It Produces Long-Term Results
PRP therapy is a quick process but it may take three or four treatments to achieve full results. Choosing multiple treatments will also increase the time the results lasts. Once the results have settled in, they can be visible for over a year and a half! This is because the PRP stimulates the skin’s stem cells to make more collagen, produce more new cells, and literally renew the skin. The results look better as more time passes because the body must take its time to go through the healing and rejuvenating process. If you’re wondering what kind of results the treatment provides, they include glowing, tighter skin; a more toned complexion; reduced acne scars; reduced appearance of winkles and signs of aging; and more.
This procedure is non-surgical, which is a huge reason why our patients choose it. The PRP extracted from the patient’s blood sample is treated and reinjected with a tiny needle. Once the injections are complete, a serum is applied to the skin to encourage healing. After this, some redness may occur within the next 24 hours but it will fade away after that time. Although dramatic and instantly noticeable, treatments like Botox only temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and it uses a foreign substance. These treatments need to be injected every few months to maintain results, while PRP treatments can last up to two years. In addition, there are far less side effects considering the only ingredient used is the patient’s own blood.
It Also Works as a Treatment for Hair Loss
These quick injections are more affordable than more invasive methods of hair restoration and can be done on your lunch break. If you are suffering from hair loss and are tired of wearing wigs and hats, Harvest PRP is an effective hair growth solution. When PRP is injected into the scalp, it stimulates growth factors in the cells to encourage the scalp to grow hair again. It can also help produce thicker hair with time. Compared to other PRP methods, Harvest PRP can achieve a higher concentration and yield of platelets by up to six times. The procedure is done almost the exact same way as Regen PRP, but the application is catered to treating hair loss and promoting hair growth.
There Is Minimal Discomfort During and After
Since PRP therapy does not involve surgery, the discomfort is much lower. The pain or discomfort felt should be similar to undergoing blood work at your routine doctor’s appointments, however, it depends on the pain tolerance of the patient, and the area being treated. Sometimes there is slight discomfort after the treatment, but it fades away after a few days. If you do experience discomfort after the procedure, all you need is an over-the-counter Tylenol. Be sure to avoid any anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin, Aleve, or Naproxen, as they can slow down the healing process. Unlike other treatments, the discomfort is minimal and patients can see signs of improvement within four to six weeks.
Even More Benefits
There are many more benefits to using PRP therapy for skin rejuvenation. Here are some more reasons why our clients love it, and why it is a good option for you:
- Little downtime is required after the treatment, so you can resume your normal activities
- Results begin to be noticeable about three months after the treatment
- Can be used to treat skin ailments and promote hair growth
- Increases the natural production of collagen
- Enhances skin elasticity, tone, and thickness
- Stimulates stem cell differentiation and proliferation
- Triggers angiogenesis (forms new blood vessels)
- Creates a volumizing effect
- Revitalizes your skin
- Rejuvenates aging skin
- The anti-aging PRP therapy treatment reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Restores your youthful appearance
- Promotes hair growth
- Reduces, and sometimes eliminates, stretch marks
- Has long-lasting effects! (Results last about 18 months—much longer than other injections)
- Little to no side effects because the procedure uses your own body’s biological material
- Treatment time is about 30 minutes alone!
The PRP treatment is revolutionary because of its safety, speed, and its gradual and natural effectiveness. It is a great alternative treatment when compared to other more invasive treatments like dermal fillers and Botox, which can have longerdown times and send chemicals into your body. With PRP therapy, there is no need to worry about synthetic materials affecting your health, and you can still achieve a smoother, more youthful appearance. Plus, since the results take time to develop, you won’t be asked a hundred questions by your friends and family. As your skin produces more collagen and boosts new cell growth, you will gradually look younger and healthier!
Before and After PRP Treatment
What’s Involved in the PRP Procedure for Skin Rejuvenation?
The procedure is very simple and it takes on average about 30 minutes. Here are the steps:
- Drawing some of your own blood (similar to a blood test);
- Centrifuging your blood (spinning it very fast for about five minutes); this process will separate the red blood cells from the plasma;
- Platelet-rich plasma is then extracted from the machine and inserted into the micro-needling gun;
- Using the micro-needling gun, the plasma is then injected into your skin in the required areas.
What’s Involved in the PRP Procedure for Hair Restoration?
Much like our current PRP system for anti-aging, the Harvest PRP procedure for treating hair loss involves the following steps:
- First some of your own blood is withdrawn as you would if you were having a routine blood test.
- Then, the collected blood is spun in a centrifuge twice and as the PRP separates, it is removed from the rest of the blood.
- Next, using a sterile medical apparatus that concentrates the platelets to six times the normal blood values, the PRP is prepared. By doing this, particles that hinder tissue regeneration are eliminated.
- Finally, this highly concentrated PRP is injected into the scalp with a meso-therapy gun. The procedure is virtually painless and does not require anesthesia.
What Is a “Micro-Needling Gun” and What Are the Benefits of Micro- Needling with a Gun System?
The micro-needling gun will stamp the skin, helping to trigger the natural production of collagen and block the nerves of the scalp to prevent any pain. Your skin and scalp will be rejuvenated!
The benefits of this anti-aging and hair loss treatment are:
- It’s virtually painless
- No need for numbing creams
- The product gets evenly distributed for a more natural appearance
- Minimal bruising and inflammation after the treatment
Is PRP Therapy Right for Me?
If you fit into any of the following categories, we recommend that you do not receive PRP treatments:
- You are pregnant or lactating
- You have a history of any of the following:
- Heart problems
- Fever blisters or herpes simplex
- Autoimmune disease, such as lupus, cancer, or HIV
- Severe asthma
- A neurological disorder
- If you have used any of the following:
- Accutane (within the last year)
- Retin-A (within the last three months)
- Botox or fillers (within the last seven days)
- If you are sick (with fever)
What Do I Do Before and After a PRP Treatment?
- Avoid taking Advil, Motrin, blood thinner medication, or alcohol 72 hours prior to receiving a PRP treatment
- After the PRP application, do not wash your face until the next day (wait a minimum of four hours; but a 24-hour wait is recommended)
- Avoid heat 24–48 hours following your PRP treatment (e.g. sauna, long hot showers, and vigorous exercise)
- Avoid exposing your skin to the sun—and make sure you are using sunscreen lotion when you step outside
- Avoid chemicals (e.g. swimming pools, tanning beds, ampules and serums)
What’s to Expect from the Harvest PRP Procedure
- You may feel a slight burning or tingling sensation that will only last for a few seconds.
- Since many injections into the treatment area are needed, you may feel a little discomfort and experience minor bruising or swelling. This will go away within 24 to 48 hours.
- Be patient! Results are seen gradually over a 12-week period.
More about PRP Therapy