What is PRP?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a simple procedure that uses your own cells and your body’s natural growth factors to treat aging skin. PRP is also more casually known as the “PRP Facelift,” as it references eternal youth and dealing with blood. Don’t fret though: it’s not at all gruesome. It’s actually a pretty amazing treatment.
PRP therapy is used to treat aging skin all over the body, including knees, thighs, arms, and stomach. It is safe to use anywhere, as it is your own-body’s physiological product; therefore, there is no risk of your body rejecting it.
Best results are seen when combining treatments; for example, the application of PRP immediately after a laser treatment, such as the Laser Genesis Rejuvenation or the Laser Spectra Peel. To accelerate results, it is recommended the patient applies vitamins to the skin in between treatments.
The PRP treatment is wonderful for repairing keloid scars and treating the crepe-like skin on the neck-area. It can also be used to rejuvenate the skin on the cheeks, mid-face, and around the eyes—right up to the lash line. PRP therapy has even been proven to treat hair loss!
Harvest PRP for Hair Restoration
Hair loss is an uncomfortable condition that many people suffer from. But wearing wigs and hats is not the solution for everyone. At the Anti Aging Toronto Clinic, we have recently introduced Harvest PRP as a new solution specifically for hair restoration, while our current PRP method is used primarily for its anti-aging benefits. Using the Harvest PRP system, we have been able to help clients achieve noticeable hair restoration results and help our customers regain their confidence. Compared to the RegenLab kit, Harvest PRP is able to achieve a higher concentration and yield of platelets by up to six times.
What Are the Benefits of Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy?
The results of the PRP treatment will astound you! You will love how PRP:
- Increases the natural production of collagen
- • Enhances skin elasticity, tone and thickness
- Stimulates stem cell differentiation and proliferation
- Triggers angiogenesis (forms new blood vessels)
- Creates a volumizing effect
- Revitalizes your skin
- Rejuvenates aging skin
- Treats fine lines and wrinkles
- Restores your youthful appearance
- Promotes hair growth
- Reduces, and sometimes eliminates, stretch marks
- Has long-lasting effects! (Results last about 18 months—much longer than other injections)
What’s Involved in the PRP Procedure for Skin Rejuvenation?
The procedure is very simple and it takes on average about 30 minutes. Here are the steps:
- Drawing some of your own blood (similar to a blood test);
- Centrifuging your blood (spinning it very fast for about five minutes); this process will separate the red blood cells from the plasma;
- Platelet-rich plasma is then extracted from the machine and inserted into the micro-needling gun;
- Using the micro-needling gun, the plasma is then injected into your skin in the required areas.
What’s Involved in the PRP Procedure for Hair Restoration?
Much like our current PRP system for anti-aging, the Harvest PRP procedure for treating hair loss involves the following steps:
- First some of your own blood is withdrawn as you would if you were having a routine blood test.
- Then, the collected blood is spun in a centrifuge twice and as the PRP separates, it is removed from the rest of the blood.
- Next, using a sterile medical apparatus that concentrates the platelets to six times the normal blood values, the PRP is prepared. By doing this, particles that hinder tissue regeneration are eliminated.
- Finally, this highly concentrated PRP is injected into the scalp with a meso-therapy gun. The procedure is virtually painless and does not require anesthesia.
What Is a “Micro-Needling Gun” and What Are the Benefits of Micro- Needling with a Gun System?
The micro-needling gun will stamp the skin, helping to trigger the natural production of collagen and block the nerves of the scalp to prevent any pain. Your skin and scalp will be rejuvenated!
The benefits of this anti-aging and hair loss treatment are:
- It’s virtually painless
- No need for numbing creams
- The product gets evenly distributed for a more natural appearance
- Minimal bruising and inflammation after the treatment
Is PRP Therapy Right for Me?
If you fit into any of the following categories, we recommend that you do not receive PRP treatments:
- You are pregnant or lactating
- You have a history of any of the following:
- Heart problems
- Fever blisters or herpes simplex
- Autoimmune disease, such as lupus, cancer, or HIV
- Severe asthma
- A neurological disorder
- If you have used any of the following:
- Accutane (within the last year)
- Retin-A (within the last three months)
- Botox or fillers (within the last seven days)
- If you are sick (with fever)
What Do I Do Before and After a PRP Treatment?
- Avoid taking Advil, Motrin, blood thinner medication, or alcohol 72 hours prior to receiving a PRP treatment
- After the PRP application, do not wash your face until the next day (wait a minimum of four hours; but a 24-hour wait is recommended)
- Avoid heat 24–48 hours following your PRP treatment (e.g. sauna, long hot showers, and vigorous exercise)
- Avoid exposing your skin to the sun—and make sure you are using sunscreen lotion when you step outside
- Avoid chemicals (e.g. swimming pools, tanning beds, ampules and serums)
What’s to Expect from the Harvest PRP Procedure
- You may feel a slight burning or tingling sensation that will only last for a few seconds.
- Since many injections into the treatment area are needed, you may feel a little discomfort and experience minor bruising or swelling. This will go away within 24 to 48 hours.
- Be patient! Results are seen gradually over a 12-week period.
More about PRP Therapy